Wednesday, May 26, 2010

To Band or Not To Band


I've said this before but sometimes there is such a thing as too much time when it comes to planning your wedding. Especially if you find yourself waffling between two decisions. Back and forth and back and then someone gives you their opinion and then forth. Time constraints force you to just pick something and stick with it. This particular decision concerns the wedding music.Align Center

I began this particular journey thinking I was throwing a themed wedding, so the songs I wanted played are very specific and so I thought a DJ would be best. Plus, I wanted to DANCE. And I am a child of the 80's and 90's and the best times I've had at weddings were ones emceed by DJ's. And most times weddings band just play boring cheesy cover songs. Not that the DJ doesn't play those too, but at least they are the originals. Then the DJ told me to let him do his job and I concurred. He's done this many times, he knows how to get the people dancing, fine. And I was fine with that, nervous about the acoustics and where to put him, but fine, nevertheless. Then a family member said to me, "The entertainment makes or breaks the party"

So I started rethinking.

But I hate cheesy wedding bands. They all play the same songlist. You know, "My Girl", "Shout", maybe a bad rendition of a Beyonce song. You've heard them at every wedding or party you've ever been to. You could just go down to Bourbon street and hear any of these bands playing any song at any point down here.
Posed Contemplative Photo with Frosted Tips and all...

I considered this band, The Cottonmouth Kings, (not pictured above!) cause they fit with our theme almost perfectly but as far as danceability goes, the DJ is still tops in my mind. Plus, I pretty much know all of the wedding bands in the area, and I don't think any of them really fit in with the wedding I'm planning in my mind.

Except for Trombone Shorty & Orleans Avenue. Recently voted "Entertainer of the Year", this amazing showman was way out of our budget. Would have been nice though, huh?

Not to mention the DJ costs 10% less than the band and when you are talking thousands of dollars, that is a huge difference. One huge decimal place...

PLUS!
If we use the DJ, then we can afford the super special second line band.
The Pinstripes

Everyone has their own opinion of the "Most Important Thing". One person thinks it's the food & music, another thinks it's the wedding gown, yet another says entertainment. One thing is for sure when it comes to wedding planning, it doesn't matter if you asked for it or not, you're GOING to get a lot of advice. Another thing is also for sure, with this wedding, you will be entertained. It may not be by the DJ but oh yes, you will be entertained.